Monday, June 1, 2009

Randi and Sophie's Visit

Last week, my friend Randi came to visit us from Phoenix with her daughter, Sophie. I am happy to say that Noah and Sophie totally hit it off. Randi is a friend from my wild days in college so it was really a trip to watch our kids playing together. And it was really cool.

They got in at 11:30 or something on Friday night. I was so excited to see her and Sophie that I really had no trouble staying awake. The next morning, we all slept in (as much as you can with 2 kids around) and then we went to the outlets so Randi could check out the Coach store. Neither one of us bought anything, but it was fun anyway.

That afternoon we went to Garden of the Gods down by Colorado Springs. Randi had never been to Colorado before and I think she was in awe of how green everything was. Here are some pics from the hike we took down there. It was a short one because of the rain that kept moving in and out, but that was probably the perfect length for Noah and Sophie anyway.

Sophie and Noah:Noah:Randi and I with the kids:Randi and I:
That night we went to the Rio for dinner (the Rio with the ridiculously strong "Limit 3" Margaritas). That was fun and Randi and I both got crocked.

On Sunday, we went to Idaho Springs and Mount Evans. We were planning on stopping at Red Rocks on the way back, but it was pouring rain. Here are some pictures from Mount Evans. We couldn't get all the way to the top because there was a massive snowstorm up there.

Noah hiking near the Mount Goliath Area: Dan and I: Randi and Sophie at nearly 13,000 feet in the snowstorm:

After our trip up Mount Evans, we had dinner at Tommyknocker Brewery. I love that place and I hadn't been there in a long time, so it was nice to have an excuse to go.

The next day was Memorial Day, and we went downtown to the Denver Fine Arts Festival. It was a great festival, but once again, it was pouring rain. We're in a drought and it has to rain constantly when Randi comes, right? Anyway, Randi said the rain was a nice change from hot, dry Phoenix. After a soggy attempt at the festival, we had brinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. I know, cliche, right? But Randi had never been to one.

All in all, it was a fun visit. I can't wait to take Noah and Dan to Phoenix to visit Randi. Not in the summer though. December would be a good time!

3 comments:

kcjayhawk said...

a lot of my family lives in scottsdale and spring break is always the best time to go. it's warm enough to swim then. my parents have gone a few times before that and it's still long pants/long shirt weather (although that would still be better if there was a snow storm going on in denver). they have a mini mountain called camelback that's an easy hike up and down.

Backpacktwang said...

I love Arizona at spring break! Phoenix has been warm enough to swim at that time of year every time I have gone (but it's been a few years). But I'm thinking I might want to check it out another time of year. Rock-n-roll Phoenix marathon is in January (want to run it with me, Suzanne?...you have plenty of time to train). I've been up Camelback and that's fun. Randi lives by West Wing Mountain. It's another fun little one, but she used to live very near Camelback (maybe mesa or tempe or scottsdale or something...I can't remember).

Amanda said...

In the first pic of Noah by himself (in the orange polo) He totally looks like a little dude, not a little kid any more!