Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Lightning Strikes

Three more people got struck by lightning yesterday in the mountains. It seems like the lightning has been crazy this year, and it reminds me how lucky I am. A few years ago, I was climbing Mount Bierstadt (elevation: 14,060 ft) with my friend Jim. We were about 500 vertical feet from the top when a storm moved in. Instead of turning around (like any rational human would), we continued on to the top. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Once we hit the top, there was lightning everywhere. The hair was standing up on the back on my neck. It was like I could feel/smell the electricity in the air. As soon as I stepped on the summit, we both turned around and started running down the mountain. In spite of all the rocky scree, neither of us fell down at all, and somehow we avoided being struck.

I've thought about why we didn't turn around when the storm first rolled in. I really haven't been able to figure it out. Maybe the lack of oxygen at that altitude muddled our thinking? I do know that it was one of the most fun moments of my life. I remember laughing sort of insanely as I ran down the mountain. Anyway, I have Noah now, so I've had to cut out some of the crazy crap I used to do. Climbing a mountain in a lightning storm is definitely out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my best friend kelly g's husband was struck by lightning when he was camping up in the mountains. she was in kc throwing me my baby shower at the time and we were all freaking out. he was somehow fine but he had the exit point on his foot to show for it. he must have done something right to survive that.
you were crazy!

Sticky Cakes said...

Why does this story not surprise me? Especially with Jim???

Anonymous said...

Climbing a mountain in an electrical storm, running in a tornado...is there something wrong with the brains in our family?

Glad you didn't ge this by lightning. That might have hurt.