Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Running Update

OK, according to my marathon recovery plan, I am officially cleared to start doing some real running as long as I don't push it too much. I've been doing a little, but not much. Did you know that experts think it takes between 26 and 42 days to fully recover from a marathon? It's been driving me nuts. But, I know it's good that I've been taking it easy because the plantar fasciitis (doesn't that sound pretty?) in my right foot is feeling much better. PF is a foot ligament thing that makes your heel/foot really hurt. The funny thing is...my foot actually feels better while I'm running than it does when I'm not.

Anyway...so this morning I ran 3 miles on the bike trails near our house. It's about a mile straight up at the beginning, which is brutal, but the mile downhill at the end is great. The run felt horrible, but I made it.

Here's my race plan for the summer:

1. Denver 5K Couples Relay (http://www.couplesrelay.com/) on June 29. I am doing the first 5K and Dan is doing the second. (Thanks, Dan) I want to PR here.

2. Colorado Springs 10K Classic (http://www.csgrandprix.com/10k.html) on July 26. I love it down there and it should be a really pretty race. I want to PR here too.

3. Golden Leaf 1/2 Marathon (http://www.aspenrecreation.com/events/event.cfm?eventid=210) on September 27. I have almost no chance of PR'ing there because it's a mountain trail race that tops out at about 9600 feet. But it sure will be beautiful!!! It starts and ends in Aspen. That reminds me...I need to get some trail specific running shoes.

Anyway, my training plan is 5 days/week with one day of cross training. It includes speed work and tempo runs which I have never done before so I am hoping to really improve my times. Wish me luck!!! I'm gonna need it!

No comments: