Sunday, June 22, 2008

Park Hill Gala

Two years ago, my good friend, Dana, opened a charter school. It is called Park Hill Preparatory School (http://web.mac.com/parkhillprep) and she does an amazing job of teaching students who have a variety of difficulties. Most of her students come from neighborhoods that many of us can't even imagine. Anyway, tonight, she had her annual fundraising gala. It was a concert at the Bluebird Theater in downtown Denver. Noah, Dan, and I went and I saw so many people from work and people I used to work with. It was awesome because I hadn't seen a lot of these people in what seems like forever. The highlight of the night for me was that I got to see two of my former students!!!The boy just graduated from high school and will start college in the fall! Success!! The girl will be a senior in the fall and already has 5 college applications at her house ready to be filled out. She and I are going to meet in August some time so I can help her fill them out. I am so excited because I just had someone tell me the other day, "Well, but not very many of your students in the population you teach are successful...they don't graduate." Dumbass! Anyway, here is a picture from tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to some idiot who says your kids don't graduate. Sure some don't make it, but I know you make a real difference for a lot of those kids and have a lot of success. Besides just because someone doesn't go to college or graduate doesn't mean they can't still succed, and you helped them do that. So f...him, excuse my language. You do good work, keep it up.

Backpacktwang said...

Thanks, Eric!