Sunday, June 15, 2008

Camping in the Hayman Burn Area

I have been dying to go explore the area of Pike National Forest that burned in the big fire 5 years ago. So, this weekend, we went camping down near the Lost Creek Wilderness Area, right smack dab in the middle of the area that burned in one of the worst forest fires in Colorado history. It was really interesting to see the re-growth in the area and see how ecosystems repair themselves in time. I was shocked by how green everything was and how many wildflowers there were. Just a few years ago it was all black and I thought nothing would ever grow back.
Our campsite:


Hiking in the burn area:

Noah had a blast camping as usual...can I tell you how hard it is to get soot off of light khaki pants, though? On Saturday, we climbed up to Devil's head fire lookout tower. Noah got a card from the ranger dude proving he made the climb. But I think his favorite part was when we made s'mores by the fire.
This is what he looked like for most of the trip:


I tried to keep his face and hands clean at first, but I soon realized that was a losing battle.


On Devil's Head Trail:








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those pictures are gorgeous, even the areas where the fire hit hard.
i agree with noah, s'mores are yummmmmmmy.
you guys must get the best workout not only hiking but carrying a child while you do it. that makes my back sore just looking at it but i'm sure you're used to it.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun maybe Kenny, Luke, and I can come out with you someday. I have a friend at work that wants to know what 14ers you have climbed. He comes up there every year and hikes and climbs. He wants me to go with him sometime. I should come up sometime.

Backpacktwang said...

Dan and I have climbed Bierstadt (twice), Gray's, Torrey's, Lincoln, Democrat, Bross, Huron, Quandry, and Sherman (three times...once with Noah). You can do Lincoln, Democrat, and Bross in one day if you want to come out and get a lot of bang for your buck!