Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Alcala de Henares

My mom and I arrived in Madrid at around 8:30 a.m. Neither of us slept much on the flight over, so we were pretty wiped out. Amanda met us at the Aeropuerto and we went straight to get coffee. Best coffee ever over there, even just at the airport. After that, we took a couple of trains to our hotel in Alcala.
View from our hotel window:
After checking into our hotel, Amanda took us into Alcala to get tapas and check out the town. I loved the place. It is beautiful, there are old buildings everywhere, great people, and the food and drinks are very inexpensive. It might have been my favorite place in Spain or France. We went to this great tapas bar where you pay like 2 or 3 Euros for a drink and get tapas with it. It was not difficult to stay on budget there!
Tapas bar:

We explored the main square of town:Check out the pig's head for sale:Amanda showed us her school:
What the heck is this? It is on the ceiling in one of Amanda's school buildings.
Some of the gardens around the school and around town are just gorgeous:
Then we got to meet Amanda's host family. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They put up with my crappy Spanish very well (they don't speak any English so Amanda translated a lot). They seem to just adore Amanda and I know she likes them a lot and feels like she is lucky to be in their home.

We also visited some of the Cervantes landmarks. He wrote Don Quixote and was from Alcala, so there is Cervantes stuff everywhere.
I don't quite remember where we ate dinner that night. I was fried and couldn't wait to get to bed. I slept very well that night and the next day, we went to Madrid!

1 comment:

suzanne said...

you know what, i don't think amanda has shown a picture of her host family. i'm glad they're really nice.