Monday, December 28, 2009

Running Plan For 2010

As my foot slowly (very slowly, too slowly, seriously, get better already) heals up, I am beginning to think about what I want to do running-wise this year.

The first thing I need to do is seriously follow the FIRST plan detailed in my Run Less, Run Faster book. I said I was going to do that last year, but I really wanted to run 5 times/week and not 3. Well, look where it got me... Plantar Fasciitis Island (PFI). In order to avoid PFI again this year, I will be running 3 days per week and cross-training 2 or 3 like the book recommends. I found a spinning class at our local rec center that actually might be as good of a workout as running, so I will be doing that twice a week to start off with. Right now I am only running one mile 3 times per week because of the foot, but as that gets better this will increase to 30-40 mile weeks (in 3-4 sessions per week).

The second thing I need to do is watch what I eat. I have always just been one of those people who just eats whatever I want, but let's face it, a true athlete would not do that. I need to get the eating thing under control so I can hit some more PRs this year.

Given that, I would like to run one of every distance I have ever run this year and try to hit those PRs. I only got one last year: the half marathon at 2:14, and I think I can do better. Here is my plan:

5K: probably a Turkey Day one in November (whether it's in CO, IA, or KS, I don't know yet)

10K: Gotta be Boulder Boulder in May

Half Marathon: Pikes Peak Ascent, of course, in August. I am addicted and I have 3 training partners this year who should help me beat last year's time. This is dependent on me sitting next to my computer for an hour in early March making sure I can get in before it is full.

Marathon: Either the Denver Marathon (which is a Rock-n-Roll this year) or Chicago. Both in October.

So that's the plan assuming I can avoid the hell of PFI again.

2 comments:

kcjayhawk said...

i think you should add the brew to brew run to your 2011 running plan. we'd cheer you on the whole way.
http://www.brewtobrew.com/

Backpacktwang said...

You are the second person in just a few weeks to tell me I need to do that run. But I am not running 40 miles by myself. You in? And maybe Eric, AJ, and Amanda? Then we could do a relay.