Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hello from Bryce Canyon

It's been a great vacation! We left Denver on Friday and (with a stop at Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company for dinner) drove to Fruita. We stayed in a hotel there and I got up early Saturday to do a little 3 miler. It was so pretty...I just ran up the road towards the Colorado National Monument.

Then on Saturday, we drove to Zion National Park. I wish I could post pictures but we forgot the cord. I'll post them when we get back. Noah had so much fun camping, hiking, and he even got to go horseback riding! But I think his favorite was roasting marshmallows. Dan's favorite part was definitely using his new camp stove. Sunday night we stayed in one of the cabins right in the park. When I walked to the lodge to get coffee in the morning, there were a bunch of deer about 20 feet to my left!

Monday morning, I got up and ran up Angels Landing trail. I did a 5 miler that included some of the toughest uphill (right up the side of the canyon) that I have done so far. Needless to say, I didn't run the whole way up, but I ran the whole way down!

Right now, we are in a hotel at Bryce Canyon National Park. We were planning on camping tonight, but it is awful cold, and I don't want Noah to get sick again so we may wimp out and stay in the hotel again. Right now, we are waiting for it to warm up a little so we can go hike in the park. Yesterday when we got here, the windchill was 21, and that was in the middle of the day. Brrrrrr....

It has been so nice just to have this time to spend with Dan and Noah. It is really our first real family vacation road trip, and it reminds me of the ones my family took when I was little.

One funny thing... the night we stayed in the cabin at Zion, Noah was crying and saying "I want TV." Sad, but true!!! Two days without TV was too much for the little guy I guess. There's no TV in camping OR cabins, haha!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

favorite thing = roasting marshmellows. that is such a kid thing. my boys would say the exact same thing.
glad you guys are having fun!
we want pics of noah when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having a good time. Wish the weather was better for you-but, hey-be glad you are not in Fargo.
Dad