Saturday, January 17, 2009

Run Less, Run Faster

I have been reading this book called Run Less, Run Faster that I got for Christmas (Thanks, Eric I.). It's about how with three days a week of running plus two days a week of cross training, you can improve your times for pretty much any racing distance (5K, 10K, half, or full marathon). You just have to train at a faster pace than you are used to and do three specific types of runs: track repeats, tempo runs, and long runs. I am still running 4 times per week, but I am doing cross training at least one day plus a couple days of strength training. But I am not up to the paces the book recommends for me yet, either. I guess you could say I am making a slow transition over to that program. I figure if I train for my half with that program, it gives me two days per week to bike and swim to start getting in shape for the tri I want to do this year.

Today I am doing a 7 mile run @9:48 (the long run pace recommended by the book for my last 5K time). I am going to need to speed it up if I want to finish the half sub-2:00. Right now, the book says a reasonable goal time for me is 2:02. I haven't decided what 1/2 I am running yet, so I need to figure that out soon to decide if I have enough time to speed it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like an interesting book. i might have to get it for eric.