Saturday, September 26, 2009

Overtrained

I. Am. So. Frustrated.

I had a rough couple of runs this week. Especially Thursday's tempo run. I was supposed to run 4-5 miles at race pace to race pace minus 30. I made 2.

It is just feeling like I am running harder and I should be getting faster but I am getting slower instead. My foot hurts, my knee hurts, and my whole body is just achy and tired all the freakin' time.

So I did a little reading on the internet and consulted my running coach friend at work. The reading and the coach confirmed what I already knew.

I am overtraining and I need to take more recovery time. It's not like I'm 18 anymore, ya know?

Problem is, running is how I manage stress. It makes me feel good and it makes me a pleasant person to be around. I have found no other workouts that work quite as well. So, what do I do?

Option #1: Take a few days off and see how I feel. Let go of my 2 hour goal because I am apparently pushing myself too hard to get there.

Option #2: Go ahead and go hard for one more week and then start my taper for the race a little early and really take it easy. Again, I am probably going to have to let go of the 2 hour goal because continuing to push it clearly isn't working.

I guess it doesn't matter much which one I pick because either way the odds of a sub-2 hour half are pretty slim at this point.

So, what am I learning from this?

1. Take a week off after a long race. I didn't let my body recover enough after Pike's before I got into this 1/2 training, which I pretty much already knew.

2. Take even longer off before resuming speed work after a race. At least one day per mile. That means I should have waited at least 13 days before speed training after Pike's, probably more because of the nature of that race and I didn't even come close to that.

3. Take a rest day at the first signs of overtraining. I have been struggling with aches and pains and fatigue that I have been denying for at least 3 weeks, maybe a month. If I had taken a little more time then I might not be in this situation so close to race day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the first thing you have to do when running is ENJOY IT. If you aren't doing that reconsider your goals. It's got to be fun-otherwise it is work and you have enough of that already.Joe

Backpacktwang said...

Good point. I think I am going to take that advice and quit working so much on speed and refocus on the fun!