Saturday, September 26, 2009

Church

Ok, so I admit I am not the most consistent church-goer. And I also admit that I have often struggled with my Catholic faith because they seemed to promote some things that I thought were dead wrong, to be frank.

But I am really impressed with the Catholic Church in Castle Rock. Dan even likes it which is a small miracle (not because he is anti-church or anything... just trust me, it is a small miracle).

First of all, the thing that drew me into the place is that it is up on a ridge above Castle Rock. They have gigantic windows right behind the altar so that when you sit in mass, you have this gorgeous view of the mountains, including Pikes Peak. Now if that doesn't inspire you to thank God for something, I don't know what will.

Second of all, I like the people there. They are laid-back and kind... and outdoorsy. Some people even show up to mass in trail shorts and t-shirts or golfing attire, or whatever. Actually, that is one thing that I have always liked about most Catholic churches anyway. Clothes aren't that important in most places I've gone to...it's just important that you show up.

Third, I like how politically non-partisan this church is. In my experience, many Catholic churches show up on one side or another of the political spectrum. Here, in a conservative bastion of now-blue Colorado, I heard the following things just in the course of one mass:

1. All people deserve good health care.
2. We need to fight to end abortion.
3. Un-documented workers should be treated better by their employers.

Wow! I am impressed.

Anyway, it is nice to have a place that Dan and I both feel comfortable to take Noah to church. We are also going to the Lutheran Church here since Dan is Lutheran, but they don't have nearly the view... ;)

2 comments:

kcjayhawk said...

i'm glad you guys found a place that you like. that's the most important thing.

Backpacktwang said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I am glad we finally found somewhere too!