Saturday, February 27, 2010

Life in the Slow Lane

I suppose something about my life should force me to slow down; I just wish it wasn't running. As I have been trying to add mileage, my foot is giving me trouble again. A little over a week ago I was ready to give up and just not run anymore. But then something happened. I took a week off and the foot felt better. So, on Wednesday afternoon, I did a short slow run of 2 miles. Foot felt fine. So today I did a short show run of 2.5 miles. Foot is a little sore, but I would be willing to bet tomorrow it will feel fine. In between, I am riding my bike on Dan's new bike trainer, which rocks, by the way.

Anyway, as I was running today, I was thinking about what I've learned from this stupid plantar fasciitis thing. I have learned to slow it down. I'm not that fast anyway, so I might as well slow down if that is what will prevent injury. What difference does it make if I am running a 9 minute mile or an 11 minute mile? Nobody cares but me, and if they do, they don't have enough going on in their own lives.

So, I am slowing down, and I am enjoying the runs more again. Running only 2-3 times per week is also making me appreciate the runs more. Today was beautiful! Sunny and in the high 40s. Perfect running weather (ok, I would have liked warmer, but I'm not going to complain considering the winter we have had).

I am still planning on Pikes this year, but I am not going to push the speed. It isn't helping me and it's making my foot worse anyway. I am going to slow down and enjoy the run!

Happy trails!

6 comments:

suzanne said...

plantar fasciitis sucks but you're doing the right thing.

suzanne said...

carich blogs just had this website on her blog http://www.dailymile.com/
i hadn't heard of it and didn't know if you had.

Amanda said...

1. I ran today too... except it was high 50s. :o) Its really warmed up here recently!!
2. No matter how slow you run, can you really enjoy the Pike's Peak race??

Backpacktwang said...

Suzanne- I have never heard of that website but it is so cool!

Amanda- I can't wait to get there! You can tell me all the cool places to run in Alcala. When we get to Barcelona, I want to run on the beach. And in Paris, I want to unt through the Jardin de Tuilleries- it is right by our apartment!

Backpacktwang said...

Oh, and yes, Pike's is the most fun thing I have ever done!

Anonymous said...

Hmm that's very interessting but actually i have a hard time figuring it... I'm wondering what others have to say....