Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Have a Butt Problem

But probably not the kind you are thinking.

Basically, I am pretty sure I jacked up a muscle (either my glute or my high left hamstring) by picking up running again too quickly after Pikes Peak. I probably should have waited longer than 3 days to resume running. The pain started last weekend when I bent down to pick up one of Noah's ridiculously large array of toys and I felt a twinge. That's when I told Dan that my butt hurt. Hence the title of this blog post.

Then I did intervals on Tuesday because I am trying to get speedier for the Denver Half Marathon. While running a 46 second 200M (a 200M PR for me), I felt the twinge again but this time it really hurt.

Yesterday I didn't run at all, which I think probably helped. But this morning I attempted a 3 mile tempo run and it went from bad to worse. As I was going up my first uphill, I saw that a dude running with his dog was gaining on me. Pride goeth before a fall. I know that is true because I really picked up the pace because I didn't want him to pass me. Big mistake. By the time I got to the top of the hill, the guy was passing me anyway and my legs were wasted. Now everything hurts and I am relegated to taking a week off of running.

The good news is that Dan fixed my mountain bike today. So I will be biking and maybe swimming for the next week instead of running. I am also due for new running shoes, so I am going to get those tomorrow. Hopefully by this time next week, my legs will feel better and I'll be back on track to my next 1/2 Marathon PR.

1 comment:

kcjayhawk said...

nice:)
i need new running shoes too. bad.