Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Am Totally Freaking Out

About the Pikes Peak Ascent. What was I thinking signing up for that thing? I am so nervous. But I am also so excited. In less than 48 hours I will be finished with the thing. I can't beleive it's finally here. Do you think I'll sleep at all for the next two nights? My strategy is to run the first 2-3 miles at a pace that feels slightly challenging. Then, into the "Ws" (a series of insane switchbacks), I am thinking about running the straights and walking the hairpin turns (about 20 seconds each). Then in the middle of the race, there is a 2-3 mile section that is "flatter" (at least not a 15% grade) that I am going to try to get done in a solid time. Then comes the zombie walk/run to the top. Goal time is supposed to be flatland marathon time +30 so I am thinking that is 5 hours. But I am shooting for 4:30 because my marathon was at 5280 feet. We'll see how it goes. Mostly I just want the weather to hold out long enough for me to finish. Right now it looks good.

P.S. I am way behind on blog posts right now because starting school has made my life crazy. I still have tons of pics to post from Uncle Mikey's visit. I will try to catch up next week.

1 comment:

kcjayhawk said...

good luck!!!!! we can't wait to hear how it went.