Friday, April 17, 2009

Training Buddy

I have always been a solo runner. I like the alone time. It gives me time to think and process all the things that are going on in my life at any particular time. It also means I can run as fast (or as slow) as I want to on any given day.

But, I have a training partner for the Pikes Peak Ascent. And I am really happy about that. We don't do every run together, but we always do our midweek long run together and it is nice to have someone to compare training plans with, especially since this is such a tricky race to train for.

The chick I'm training with also works with me, and she is really cool! As an added bonus, she lives right by some of the most beautiful, mountainous trails close to the Denver area. Most of them are not any more technical than the trails down the street from my house, but it is nice to have different terrain to practice on, and different (and beautiful) scenery to enjoy while we are huffing and puffing up some ridiculous incline.

Also, I have already noticed that our strengths complement each other. I keep her motivated on the uphills and she keeps me from slacking on the downs. And by that, I mean that she is kicking my ass with the speed on the flats and downhills. And I am getting faster because of it. And she is getting stronger on hills (we both are).

Work has been very stressful recently, and it is nice to have someone to process it all with once a week. When the Barr Trail (the one the race is on) clears in the spring, it will also be nice to have someone to run the weekend long run with...and right on the race trail.

Here is a picture of the area I run in with Debbie:

On a side note: Dan and I reached the 10 year milestone yesterday! (Yes, I mean our 10 year anniversary...who'd have thought...?) I love you, Dan!!

1 comment:

kcjayhawk said...

happy anniversary (a little late)!