Monday, October 27, 2008

Holy Jumping Cholla, Batman!


Another Cholla Sunrise
Originally uploaded by Nick Carlson

So, I have been in Phoenix visiting my friend Randi. She lives outside of Phoenix in a beautiful desert community, so I thought I'd take off across the open space (wild desert) behind her house for a run. I knew if I went straight across the field with the cacti in it, I could climb up the side of a mountain behind her house and get to a trail that I wanted to run on. It all went just fine until I came down from the trail and had a run-in with a cactus called a jumping cholla. This ball of spines got lodged in my shin and I couldn't pull it out because the spines were sticking to my fingers. So I grabbed 2 rocks and used them to yank out the big ball, but I still had those spines sticking into my skin. Luckily, they didn't really hurt, so I just ran back to Randi's house and pulled them out with tweezers. That was probably the craziest running experience I've had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

owwww....you don't hear that one every day.
my brother billy fell into the same cactus not once but twice growing up.